Last Updated April 10th, 2020
This page is designed to provide Gavin District parents, students, and staff, the latest information regarding the Coronavirus COVID-19 in our area. Please be aware that we will update this page regularly with the most current information as we receive it from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), Lake County Health Department.
Below are the communications that have been sent out to Gavin parents and guardians. We will continue to add any additional communications relating to the Coronavirus COVID-19.
April 10, 2020 - Gavin Parent SkyAlert 4.10.20
April 1, 2020 - Gavin D37 SkyAlert for Parents: 4.1.20
March 20, 2020 - Important Update from Gavin D37
March 16, 2020 - Important Message for Gavin Families and Staff
March 15, 2020 - Important Message for Gavin Families
March 13, 2020 - Closing Schools Memo for Parents
Closing Schools Memo for Parents in Spanish
e-Learning Memo for Parents in Spanish
March 11, 2020 - Gavin D37 Pandemic Preparedness Letter for Families in English and in Spanish 3.11.20
February 26, 2020 - A Message from the Superintendent
January 31, 2020 - Superintendent Letter to Families (LCHD)
Letter to Parent/Guardians (Spanish)
Is the school district helping ensure our kids wash their hands often?
We have delivered additional supplies of hand sanitizer to all of our schools. In addition, our schools are encouraging hand washing. Students may also ask their teacher to go to the bathroom to wash their hands.
What You Can Do for Your Family Members?
- Continue to practice effective hand washing techniques
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Stay home at the first sign of any symptoms of illness
- Contact your physician if you have question/concerns regarding your personal health history and implications of Coronavirus COVID-19
- Remain calm and reassuring
As you have seen in the news the coronavirus continues to spread to countries outside of China, including the United States. We have included below some information to help assist with matters relating to the coronavirus.
- The U.S. Department of State’s website on travel is a recommended resource in looking at potential overseas trips being taken by your district in the coming months. Below is a link to the map included on the DOS’s website. As you’d expect China is currently in red, or “Do Not Travel” while Italy is orange with stripes indicating “Reconsider Travel – Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk”.
TSGMap/?extent=74.742561948, 16.054165201,134.281333715,45. 457053067
- Disinfecting home and work spaces properly can help in fighting the spread of coronavirus, along with many other germs and bacteria. This would include wiping down items such as desks, chairs, office phones and keyboards at least once a week. Keyboards can also be turned over when not in use to help in keeping bacteria particles away.
- Have cleaners and sanitizers such as Lysol, Purell and Clorox available for staff. These products claim to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses including the Coronavirus. The Center for Biocide chemistry appears to support these claims listing these products among the 100 they recommend using against emerging viral pathogens such as the Coronavirus. A copy of this complete list is attached for your reference.
Link to Centers of Disease Control (CDC)
Link to Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
Link to Illinois Department of Public Health Coronavirus FAQs (IDPH)