A Note from Dr. Brua
Welcome to Gavin District 37, home of the Gavin Tigers!
It has been a great start to the 2020-2021 school year, thanks to our amazing students, teachers, staff, and families! Due to our work during the 2019-2020 school year, we have created several new initiatives for this school year. As part of our new Strategic Plan action steps, we have provided the following opportunities for our students and community:
- ILASCD Whole Child Award 2019 for South Middle School;
- School Board Governance Recognition Award 2019;
- CEP approval for 3 years; breakfast and lunch for free for every student;
- Roof repairs at Central and South; full air conditioning at South; classroom and library refresh and flooring and gym floor at South;
- Chiller replacement at Central; STEM labs at Central and South; safe entrances at Central and South; new District Office at South;
- Exciting new staff and faces across classrooms and in transportation, food service, and maintenance;
- Summer School attendance of over 90 students who maintained skills or showed growth during August 2020;
- Student Services Coordinator with a background in C.H.A.M.P.S. and Restorative Justice programming;
- 1 to 1 full implementation for all students grades K-8, obsolescence plan to replace older laptops for teachers/staff, and new Tech Coach for support;
- New Music curricular resources for K-8 Music rotations at Central and South;
- New Chief School Business Official and new Principal at Central;
- 3.8 Financial Recognition Rating out of 4.0 for State of Illinois;
- Commendable ratings for both Central and South;
- Student achievement growth in English Language Arts and in Math via Illinois Assessment of Readiness as well as Science proficiency growth;
- Focus on instructional strategies across subject areas; time for teachers to focus on professional learning discussions per their survey and feedback;
- Successful shared Food Service model with Big Hollow District 38 with student meal sales improving significantly from previous years;
- Great opportunities for clubs for Central students through STEM Club and South students through school Musicaland National Junior Honor Society
- STEM Specials for Kindergarten - grade 5 including Project launch for grades K-2 and Project Lead the Way for grades 6 - 8 including Robotics for grade 7 and App Creator for grade 8;
- Refurbished SMARTBoards in each classroom at South including new projectors and carts as donated by Discover Volunteers;
- Band, Art, and Chorus programs with growing enrollments each year; Band/Chorus rooms redone at Central and South;
- Building improvements and support through Discover Volunteers and Chicago Cares at South/Central;
- Community Outreach Committee and Board Governance Recognition application for the Board;
- An outstanding Gavin Involvement Group (parent group) aligned to practices of a PTO/PTA who provide funding for school needs such as instrument repairs, assemblies, etc. through a variety of fund raisers, etc.
- Much, much more!
Please click on the following link to see the Discover Volunteers day in June 2019!
Also, please check below for my weekly Superintendent messages to learn more about the Gavin D37 initiatives and goals!
Julie A. Brua, Ed.D.
About Dr. Brua
Dr. Brua is a graduate of the Learning Forward Academy Class of 2014, and has served as an adjunct professor for the University of St. Francis in Joliet. She has a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education from the University of Illinois, a Master of Education from the University of Illinois, an Administrative endorsement from DePaul University, a Doctorate of Educational Administration from Northern Illinois University, a Superintendent endorsement from Northern Illinois University, and an ESL/Bilingual endorsement from Benedictine University. She completed her Chief School Business Official endorsement in February 2018 from Northern Illinois University.