A Note from Dr. Brua
Welcome to Gavin District 37, home of the Gavin Tigers!
It has been a great start to the 2019-2020 school year, thanks to our amazing students, teachers, staff, and families! Due to our work during the 2018-2019 school year, we have created several new initiatives for this school year. As part of our new Strategic Plan action steps, we have provided the following opportunities for our students and community:
- ILASCD Whole Child Award 2019 for South Middle School;
- Roof repairs at Central and South; full air conditioning at South; classroom and library refresh and flooring and gym floor at South;
- Exciting new staff and faces across classrooms and in transportation, food service, and maintenance;
- Summer School attendance of over 93 students who maintained skills or showed growth during June 2019;
- New Student Services Coordinator with a background in C.H.A.M.P.S. and Restorative Justice programming;
- 1 to 1 full implementation at South for all students grades 5-8, obsolescence plan to replace older laptops for teachers/staff, and new Tech Coach for support;
- New Music curricular resources for K-7 Music rotations at Central and South;
- New Chief School Business Official with experience as former President of Illinois Association of Chief School Business Officials (IASBO) organization;
- Student achievement growth in English Language Arts and in Math via Illinois Assessment of Readiness as well as Science proficiency growth;
- Focus on instructional strategies across subject areas; time for teachers to focus on professional learning discussions per their survey and feedback;
- Successful shared Food Service model with Big Hollow District 38 with student meal sales improving significantly from previous years;
- Great opportunities for clubs for Central students through STEM Club and South students through school Musical, and National Junior Honor Society
- STEM Specials for Kindergarten - grade 5 including Project launch for grades K-2 and Project Lead the Way for grades 6 - 8 including Robotics for grades 7 and 8;
- Refurbished SMARTBoards in each classroom at South including new projectors and carts as donated by Discover Volunteers;
- Band, Art, and Chorus programs with growing enrollments each year; Band/Chorus room redone at South;
- Building improvements and support through Discover Volunteers and Chicago Cares at South/Central;
- Community Outreach Committee and Board Governance Recognition application for the Board;
- An outstanding Gavin Involvement Group (parent group) aligned to practices of a PTO/PTA who provide funding for school needs such as instrument repairs through the Holiday Bazaar, Book Fairs, Gavin Gallop, etc.
- Much, much more!
Please click on the following link to see the Discover Volunteers day in June 2019!
Also, please check below for my weekly Superintendent messages to learn more about the Gavin D37 initiatives and goals!
Julie A. Brua, Ed.D.
About Dr. Brua
Dr. Brua is a graduate of the Learning Forward Academy Class of 2014, and has served as an adjunct professor for the University of St. Francis in Joliet. She has a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education from the University of Illinois, a Master of Education from the University of Illinois, an Administrative endorsement from DePaul University, a Doctorate of Educational Administration from Northern Illinois University, a Superintendent endorsement from Northern Illinois University, and an ESL/Bilingual endorsement from Benedictine University. She completed her Chief School Business Official endorsement in February 2018 from Northern Illinois University.