Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is designed to ensure that the public has access to information about their government and its decision-making process. There are three (3) methods of pursuing a FOIA request in Gavin 37:
- Complete this form,
- Email our FOIA Officer, Cheri Coby, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Submit in writing to: Superintendent's Office, Gavin School District 37, 25775 W. Hwy 134, Ingleside, IL 60041
Requests for public records will be responded to within 5 business days as allowed by the Freedom of Information Act, provided any applicable fees are paid. When making a request to inspect a document, please try to be as specific as possible so that we may locate the proper file as soon as possible.
Copy Fees (5 ILCS 140/4(b))
The first 50 pages are at no charge (black and white on letter or legal paper). Thereafter, fees include 15 cents per page (black and white on letter or legal paper). Color copies are not available. Electronic copies (when available) are provided at no cost.
How many days does the public body have to respond to my FOIA request?
A public body must respond to a FOIA request within 5 business days after the public body receives the request. That time period may be extended for an additional 5 business days from the date of the original due date if:
- The requested information is stored at a different location;
- The request requires the collection of a substantial number of documents;
- The request requires an extensive search;
- The requested records have not been located and require additional effort to find;
- The requested records need to be reviewed by staff who can determine whether they are exempt from FOIA;
- The requested records cannot be produced without unduly burdening the public body or interfering with its operations; or
- The request requires the public body to consult with another public body who has substantial interest in the subject matter of the request.
If additional time is needed, the public body must notify the requester in writing within 5 business days after the receipt of the request of the statutory reasons for the extension and when the requested information will be produced.